What is an ingrown toenail?
An ingrown toenail is a painful condition characterized by the nail digging into the surrounding skin, leading to inflammation and possible infection of the toe. This is a serious condition for people with impaired circulation, diabetes, or other systemic diseases.
CAUSES OF INGROWN TOENAILS
- Improper nail trimming
- Shoe pressure
- Poor foot structure
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Trim toenails straight across as a preventative measure.
- Select the proper shoe style and size.
WHAT WILL A PODIATRIC PHYSICIAN DO FOR YOU?
- Perform a physical examination.
- Perform x-ray evaluation when necessary.
- Remove the ingrown portion of the nail.
- Culture the nail.
- Prescribe appropriate medications, such as antibiotics.
- Perform surgical correction of the nail when indicated.